For three nights London has experienced rioting. The news reports and images portray a widening war zone, characterised by violence, looting and arson. There are the usual angles emerging from the media, lawless hooded youths, the lack of a police response, the destruction of local businesses.
Looking to explain why our capital city, and other cities around the country have become battle grounds, some have searched for the chain of events that led to this civil unrest. Four days ago, Mark Duggan was shot in Tottenham in north London . I could say any number of things now that would characterise Mark Duggan in our minds. If I tell you he was only 29 you might think what a young age to end a life. If I tell you he was a father you might picture his young family and think of their loss. If I tell you that he was known to the police you might believe he lived on the wrong side of the law.
But actually, I don’t know who Mark Duggan was, most of us don’t. I can’t discern his character from our plethora of British media houses. I can’t make sense of the conflicting reports about the circumstances surrounding his shooting by police. There seems to be a keenness to arrive at pantomime characterisations of people and events. I guess it might take some time for the facts to emerge somewhere down the line.
It would appear there was a police operation involving armed officers, that Mark Duggan’s minicab was surrounded, that shots were heard. Exactly who fired, how many shots were fired and why police opened fire remain questions without definitive answers. Claims that Mark Duggan was carrying a firearm seem to be confirmed. We are very much in the hands of the investigators to learn more about the incident, and in the hands of political leaders who will no doubt decide what, how and when information is released against the context of a city in melt down.
Somewhere along the line, the peaceful protest that then ensued outside Tottenham Police Station deteriorated and ballooned unexpectedly into the images we have now witnessed over the last three nights across London and other major cities. Does what is happening on our streets have anything to do with Mark Duggan now. Probably not. So what is it all about?
Well, the pundits are not short on analysis and theories. Is it the bad behaviour of unruly teenagers, the product of poor parenting, the uprising of the have-nots, the frustrations of an unemployed youth, the consequence of conservative government austerity measures, the consequence of the labour government’s nationalisation of childhood, the dysfunction of a godless society, lacking cohesion and community, the abdication of parental responsibility? May be it is all and none of these things. Maybe this is not a community united by a single cause, but instead a collection of individuals and small groups united by opportunity to do whatever it is they have each fixed their sights on.
It is terrifying, and the fires have lit up more than just the street of London , they have ignited a conversation in this country.
Although my in-laws came to Canada from England as adults and I watch my share of BBC, I have yet to figure out exactly what "British Culture" means. I'm not saying it makes less sense than ours, it's just I grew up with this one. It seems to me that the British are all at once reserved, risque (Monty Python et.al.), witty among so many other things. Having said that, these riots have really surprised me. Is rioting as out of character for the English as I think? I think that Canadians are far too apathetic for such a spontaneous expression of outrage, if that's what it is. I think most riots you read about happening here are planned and instigated by a small group or groups of people who count on the mob mentality taking over (which it usually does). Babbling again - this time on your blog not mine - sorry.
ReplyDeleteOn New Year's 2009 in Oakland, Oscar Grant was shot and killed as he sat on the BART (train) platform handcuffed. The videos taken by passengers were shown on TV and it was fairly obvious the killing was unjust. The killing set off rioting in the streets of downtown Oakland, a city with one of the most oppressed African American populations in the U.S.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it was simply the killing of Grant that started the rioting but rather young men and women who knew they were being kept down and "in their place." When groups of people who are poor are treated unjustly in all their affairs with white people, they tend to hold in a lot of hate and frustration--ready for an excuse to riot. Oakland also has a very wealthy community of white people.
My point is that when their is a big wide gap between having and not having, people become resentful and crave revolution. Essentially, they want to "pay back" and hopefully grab a share of the good life for themselves. This is what happens. And yes, small groups of people lead the others, or instigate if you prefer, but they vent and represent the frustrations of all oppressed peoples as demonstrated by riots all over the world recently. I imagine the U.S. will not be too far behind.
The killings are only the catalyst.
Totally agree Linda... people across the country are taking the opprtunity to get their hands on more 'stuff'. 'Stuff' makes our world go round... we are trained 24/7 to think what we have isn't sufficient, is obsolete... so that we go out and shop. Well, looting is a kind of shopping... it is what happens when advertising works but the means to buy are non existent. I'm not debating if the actions of looters are legal... that is too easy to answer. But I'm asking if the actions are understandable... enjoy taking with you.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Linda too. This isn't something that's about recent austerity cuts or fewer police on the treats - it goes back 20 or 30 years and is to do with feeling marginalised.
ReplyDeleteThat doesn't justify the action, but it takes a few criminals and ring leaders to ignite the angry mob of the marginalised people.
At the end of the day, society is always on the brink of breaking down (we are animals after all) and is kept in control by norms and the fear of repercussions. When the angry mob feels like there isn't a repercussion - ie, they won't get caught by police - they act.
The events of the last few days have got nothing to do with Mark Duggan. I don't suppose the people rioting even know who he is.
The best times in my life I were spent in England. I've worked in London, have friends who are like family who live in Leeds, Bradford, Birmingham, Essex. My thoughts and prayer are for those in the Uk. Take care
ReplyDelete