I’m telling you now, before you read on, I’m in no good mood and I’m not going to be polite, or sensitive or any such thing. You read on, that’s your problem.
Then I stop typing…
When I’m filled with so much anger and hate… what do I let out first? Everything wants out.
Let’s start with school. The fucked up school where I worked. The place where the head had absolutely no fucking idea about home-life balance… she saw her husband every now and again at the weekend for Christ’s sake! Obsessed with her own fucking image… determined to be queen bee amongst her cronies… stuck in the 70s… What a fucked up person she is, running the show… projecting her fucked up ideas onto her workforce. She used to spit blood to me about people who had done nothing more than called it a day and gone home to their family. They still don’t know what she had to say about each of them… and to this day she demands their loyalty despite betraying them many times over.
When it came to depression, she hadn’t a fucking clue. I wished it on her… I sat and cursed her with it so that one day she’d know what a fucking ignorant cow she was. I had an occupational therapist who was great, understanding… supportive. She was telling me I needed to become better at communicating how things were going… so that people could help and so that I didn’t pull any surprises. I’d keep the lid on things, hiding depression like an alcoholic hides drink, and then suddenly it would be ‘where’s Mehdi?’
I took advice well, did what people asked me to do. I told my Head how things were going and she looked me in the eyes and told me slowly ‘I don’t need or want to know how you feel, I just want to know you can do your job’. I’d have been better off that day if she’d put a bullet through my brain.
Never mind my own negative predictions about the future… I was being told by the Head that I was going to be unemployable… nice thing to say to someone struggling with depression.
When I was recovering and returning to work… these were the people I had to be with… people who were insensitive to depression and who didn’t have any patience for it. You had to be tough on the outside… no one cared what was on the inside. I’d sit amongst my colleagues and talk with them only to learn later in meetings with my Head that they were busy judging me and passing their feedback to her… all of a sudden they were the mental health experts being asked for their learned opinions and me… I was supposed to take it.
You know, there were three days when I was returning to work as a behaviour experiment set up by my occupational health therapist. It was for me to learn about how I was responding to the environment. Back then I had very little insight into how depression was affecting my capacity in different environments and situations. I’d show up, say my awkward hellos and find out what I’d been tasked with. At briefing a couple of colleagues sniggered as I was welcomed back… I know who they are and I’ll probably never forgive them. It was tricky, because I wasn’t there doing what I necessarily do day in day out, and someone else was directing me. At the start of the day, there’d be a moment or two of hanging about whilst they sorted themselves out. I remember looking out of the window for a little while, trying not to get in the way given everyone was so busy. It transpired that looking out the window was diagnosed as ‘spaced out’ by my colleagues and it was another nail in my career.
I know… being hooked on approval meant I’d placed my worth in the hands of others. And when they didn’t treat it with care, and trashed it, I got upset. And now instead of blaming myself for empowering them so, I blame them because they took my precious worth and destroyed it.
It was strange to be in an environment where we all supposedly cared so much… for the youngsters at least… and yet behind the scenes there was so little care for the adults… the staff. The caring seemed to stop with the children. We, on the other hand, were expendable.
When I left it was for me. I’d got to know the environment better, my colleagues better and it was fucked up… and it wasn’t the place for somebody who was recovering from depression. How can you hold a gun to someone’s head and tell them… if you get ill again you’re finished. Like I had some way of deciding if I got ill or not! It’s still fucked up… probably will stay that way until people are exchanged and with it culture changes.

I was in a similar situation last year. My boss wasn't the cause - it was more like the whole company - with a corporate structure that spans the whole globe, you can work 5000 miles away from the politics and yet when they have their fun in some corporate office in a backwater town in US... the guy that I don't talk to much, working in the same office but in the conflicting department, became my worst enemy. And when my boss' boss' boss lost the fight, the whole structure came crumbling down.
ReplyDeleteThe day finally came when I had to say "fuck-it-all" and left. It was a good decision on hindsight but back then I did not know whether I did it because I was not myself or because it was a moment of clarity.
I spent 4 months not having to worry when I was getting the chop (my boss got it 3 weeks after I left) and re-evaluated the things that were important to me. That was 6 months ago and for the first time in many years, I actually felt I was recovering.
Good luck my friend. You are definitely not alone. :)
I probably never really talk to you about how angry I am about all this, because I don't think it would help. But I do want to say that I am, even more so than you if possible. And I love you, and together we can get through it all. xx
ReplyDeleteThis may sound bizarre but I say "good on you for being pissed off". It means you are taking your power back and not blaming yourself. Just don't let it eat you up.
ReplyDeleteWow, I don't know what to say. Other than respect to you for doing this blog. It's a brave move, as I've said before. I hope it helps. In a rather bizarre way, it's interesting reading it. I have a couple of friends and worked with a couple of people with depression and don't really understand it. This helps.
ReplyDeleteI think it really important who you tell your "stuff" to as there are certain kinds of people who will use it as ammunition against you. I believe I understand your anger having faced similar people in past jobs. I used to think it was me until after not working for awhile, I've realized it was them. There seem to be certain kinds of people who are good at the water cooler thing and they are the ones who should keep working. The rest of us shouldn't have to work with them. Dream on. :)
ReplyDeleteHey all. It is warming to hear from you... thank you for leaving a comment. I'll always try and reply.
ReplyDeleteMad Sinkie... thank you... it's good to meet someone who has been through the same sort of experience.
Jojesek, i agree - good to let it out.
Phil... just seeing your name there is a comfort... and you always say something comforting because you are a very amazing person. Thank you fella.
Linda...I'm sorry to hear you've had to put up with this kind of rubbish in the workplace too. Know what you mean about being careful but I'm done with that. I can't expect or wish for people to have a better understanding of depression if I'm going to keep my own understanding and experience of it a secret. And hey... if they can't be nice I can always threaten to stop taking my medication ; )
Hey dude, as you can imagine this was more of an eye-opener for me than for most. There were some things in there I would never have guessed. Personally, I am glad you left. What you said about the caring stopping at the kids is true in many ways. It is a job that kills from the inside. It may sound odd but for me having a nice, clear life-threatening disease made it easier. People understand it and are generally supportive. I've come to believe that as a rule the only people who are supportive of an illness like depression are those who have have it themselves and sometimes not even them. If I'd been at medication point while I was teaching I simply wouldn't have made it. Staying there would definitely have been the least healthy thing you could have done - I'm half way out myself.
ReplyDeleteYou could stay angry that people could be so cold but in some ways that might have saved you. If people had been even just a little more supportive you would have tried to tough it out (and probably blamed yourself if you didn't succeed)and the situation wouldn't really have got any better. It could have driven you past the point of no return very quickly. To get rid of cancer you have chemo - it's brutal and totally poisonous......sound like an analogy? I was terminal but I'm definitely not dead. The chemo poisoned and sickened and weakened me til I wanted to give up. Eventually it did it's job and got the cancer away from me. You have gone through the poison and even if you feel sickened and weak you have come out the other side. The very existence of this blog proves how much healthier and stronger you are now.
Some people are ignorant. Some snake bites are venomous. It is the way of the world. With some snakes you can milk the venom out or train them so they are less likely to bite. You may have some similar success with people but it cannot be relied upon. Store up your anti-venom, the love you are so very obviously surrounded with. Don't ask if you deserve it just accept it as something you need in a toxic world.
As always, be well, try jasmine tea and take your value from those that want to be with you and give to you (if they are lovely they must have a reason for sticking around with you) and not from those that only want to take.
Z :-)
Oh Z, I love your messages marked with a Z like Zoro... you always come at me with such deep thoughts mixed with a big dolop of creamy humour and I love it.
ReplyDeleteI never looked at it the way you tell it... but I like the way you roll. It's a really positive way to interpret the experience and one I warm to and prefer to my own twisted version! Thank you Z... your post is a gift... it lifts a burden from me.
Thank you, thank you. x