Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Tiny Little Goals

I’ve been taking Quetiapine for 26 days. For 14 days I have been on a dose of 100mg. I passed through a dark place where suicide held my hand for a little while and I achieved little outside my own thoughts. I’ve got two good reasons why it would never come to that so there is no call for alarm – it was just that my mind wondered onto suicidal thoughts in much the same way as anybody’s can become fixated and preoccupied.

The pace of mornings continued to be dictated by the medication’s side effects until very recently, when I became disciplined about not eating for two hours before taking the tablets, and for one hour afterwards. This places my evening meal at around 5.30pm and I take the Quetiapine spot on 8pm. Not the most sociable of habits but necessary, if I am to wake the next day alongside everybody else.

A month ago I was walking my dogs regularly and trying to be mindful, and then I found myself trapped inside a cumbersome, sedated and tired body again. I was tired too of having to start again, I had started again so many times. Each time it was hope that helped me make the first move - but now I was starting to feel a little cheated by hope. There seemed to be more snakes than ladders on my board.

About a week ago a flurry of articles about exercise and mental health were widely publicised by campaigns like Time to Change, which coincided with my own wishes to be more active. I accept that being active sometimes helps me fight the depression, but I recognise too (as more articles ought too) that sports men and women are not immune to depression. With the encouragement of others I took the first steps again, walking with the dogs around the block that encompasses the red brick church with its high walls. A short walk by any measure, and exhausting too – but it was a walk all the same. The tiniest of goals achieved. Yes, a month ago I could walk much further but this is where I am now. This is what I have to deal with – there is no good that can come from drawing that comparison.

As my mornings were returned to me and those short walks became once again a part of some kind of routine, I became useful again. My body was responding better to what I wanted to do, and my mind more able to focus. I was still astonished at the frequency with which needed to stop and rest, but I accepted it and tried to think of it all as exercise on the way to somewhere healthier.

My mood has been improving and the facial expressions that Alicia recognises as me are, at times, evident again. There is a component missing though – emotion feels muted somehow. Alicia has noticed it too. But I have been busy and can look back across a day and claim to have done something worthwhile.

Today has been a difficult so far but that means nothing at all. It says nothing of yesterday and of course can say nothing about tomorrow. It does bother me though, because I do want to be reliable. I want to have up and down days like other people who don’t find themselves completely derailed by the downs. I want an employer or client to look at me and be confident that my downs won’t keep me off work or critically alter my functioning – but they do. This is something I’d like to consider more another day in another post, when my energy and mood permits it. But for today I’ll just accept that this is what I can manage for now, just like my little walks.

13 comments:

  1. Hang in there! Seems to me your on the right track and doing what you need to do. Hope today ends on a good note for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do, and I'm glad to say that today did improve significantly for me. Hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. Words can't say how touching your post is. I often wonder why I dont give up - because that's no fun either. At least doing little things is some form.of life and it will lead to better days - I hope. Keep fighting and stay strong. Youre my inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zara, things are really improving in a tangible way and I'm really relieved about that. Still, I get so excited and start making grand plans which gets me into trouble when I'm not well enough to see them through. One step at a time. Sending you good wishes.

      Delete
  3. I had always been pretty strong for my size but when I was in treatment I lost all of my muscle and all of my strength and so, inevitably, all of my energy. I had days when it would take me nearly 10 minutes to simply lift myself from the sofa to a standing position and my god how I hated myself. How I despised the feeble creature I had become.

    Then I thought about the fact that I wasn't a strong person anymore but I had been once and that there was a possibility (regardless of what the doctors said) that I would be again one day. I couldn't demand a return to my former strength and I haven't yet achieved it. I won't have done by tomorrow or by next week. Maybe the week after that I'll get there. Maybe a little longer.

    I should go to the gym, or take a walk. I should eat more healthily.....I really should lay off the fried-egg sandwiches!!

    You do more to work on and improve your health than about 80% of the population - It's a rocky road and it's fraught with uncomfortable moments as you seek a steady path but you are always striding forwards (even if you feel a little lost or take smaller steps some days).

    You keep up the good fight and I will keep trying to step away from the frying pan :-)
    Zx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's moving to hear your stories Z and how you fought. You are an example to follow. I'll get there. Thank you for your warm encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I know you've got a lot to get through, but getting back into exercise after a period of time out is hard for everyone, full stop. The first few times feel horrible, but gradually over time you'll get there. The endorphins will flow, you'll feel better about yourself and then, the odd fried egg sandwich will feel like a well-earned reward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you, hope you're feeling okay. I've started pilates, really helps me I think. Oh, anyway, was writing to see how you are, and also to say i just noticed a new addition under the 'Players' list - fab fab fab!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it's Anabel by the way : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A. I got back to you on your FB messages. Xx

      Delete
  7. I have nothing to add except that I always send good thoughts your way.

    Mental

    ReplyDelete

Comments are what make it interesting...sorry about the introduction of word verification but unfortunately this blog has been recently plagued by spambots.