Yesterday I sat quietly amongst the Mute Swans of Abbotsbury. I watched a pen arrange her angular nest neatly about herself, studying the movements of her chalk white neck as she reached for disobedient reeds and lifted them into their architectural place. She stretched out in defensive attack of passers by that drew too close. Too close to her nest, and when she rose up and flexed her arched wings in celebration of natures structural perfection, I caught sight of her prize... a single grey blue egg.
She looked at me a moment and appeared to study me back in silent contemplation. A moment later she left her nest to join the colony in their hundreds feeding on the generous servings of wheat in the lagoon. I felt responsible, as though she had asked me to keep vigil over that single precious egg. And I did watch over it with such mindfulness that I didn't notice the crowds disperse and the buckets of wheat being barrowed away, and the colony thinning once again into their inseparable pairs.
The vivid experience of life as I see it is still present and yesterday it reached out to me. Yesterday it entered my body through its sights and sounds and softened me from within, sculpting away the anxiety from my once petrified face.
With my own wings outstretched in anticipation of flight I visited a grocery store to collect some ingredients for a family dinner. The grocery store, a hornets nest of human existence where too many of us share the same space in mutual competition. It's been many months since I set foot in a place like this. I came out some time later, fragile, upset, beaten and without a single purchase. This is a helpful indicator of how, for the moment, day to day activity can trigger a stress response in me akin to what you would experience if your life were in danger. And the evolutionary glitch that is memory permitted the self analysis of my failure to reign through the afternoon until its energy dissipated into sleep.
I awoke later feeling restored, but such glitches are important in measuring out the size of my strides on the road to recovery. My mood feels more even, although fragile and susceptible to derailment by life's teacup tempests. The sedation is easing away and my waking hours are stretching out into the day.
Another day beckons.

I have to say, I think everyone feels a little bit like that about supermarkets sometimes... ;-)
ReplyDeleteGlad you see that you're beating your wings, getting ready to take flight again Med.
I don't use the town centre or supermarkets very much at all. We wanted to support more ethical markets. That aside, supermarkets are just really scary places right now... people, stress, fear, rushing, noises, I'm like a frightened puppy or a wobbly jelly, or a wobbly puppy! Yeah, have to get to a point where running out of the store in a panic is not the default outcome! Nearly there ... thanks mate.
DeleteWell, I commented yesterday on another of your entries but must not have hit publish! Trying medications and changing medications can be so frustrating and, even, frightening. I hope this one helps and the side effects level out. I have been on the same medication for several years now. While I don't always have the energy or the stability of moods that I wish for, I remind myself that depression took didn't allow me that either. I also remind myself that my medication seems to give me a floor when I fall - versus that black hole. I can get up from the floor. Oh, the supermarket...I can relate. Some days I do fine. Other days, not so much. Trying to accept the tough days and be grateful for the good ones. :) You write so well. I can relate to much of what you are experiencing. Keep trying with the medication and don't be afraid to change if you need to. Wishing you the best. Nancy
ReplyDeleteThanks Nancy. It's early days and from past experience I know it takes a few weeks to understand what a medication is going to do for me, put it's been a positive start. The fact that I made it inside the supermarket is testament to that. You are so right ... it is too easy to forget how bad things can get without the medication. Good days and bad days is the course of life and I expect that. Depression isn't life at all... and if medication can help keep me from that I'll look carefully at the pros and cons.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry I missed out on a comment to another post... that happens to me sometimes too. Thanks for dropping by today.
I've been reading your blog for awhile now and just wanted to say hi and that I'm glad you're feeling better with your new medication. I can relate to alot of what you write, especially about the store :p
ReplyDelete