Friday, 30 March 2012

Waiting Room Thoughts

In three hours I'll be sat with a psychiatrist for the first time. I'm filled with anxiety. I will have one hour. Perhaps in that one hour I'll be asked the right questions. Perhaps I'll be fit enough to respond meaningfully. Perhaps he will have the expertise and experience to fill in the gaps that one can't cover in an hour. Perhaps he will understand how important that one hour will be to me. Perhaps.

Depression takes several forms and correct diagnosis is key to medicating appropriately. Three years ago I swallowed my first antidepressant. I've been on four different antidepressants since then: Citalopram made me anxious and suicidal; mirtazapine tranquillized me, took away my mental agility and made me fat; cymbalta was a love affair but it's affects were short lived and eventually we grew apart; fluoxetine made me aggressive in high doses, in lower doses it helped me bounce along the bottom of the mental health sea.

My working life these past 3 years has been a train crash. The hold this illness has over me makes me unreliable, anxious, fearful, socially awkward and completely without resilience to everyday stresses. I've gone from a £45k salary to living on benefits. I'd like to be well enough that I can work a year without another major depression tripping me up.

A year of uninterupted work growing my business. A year without my weight ballooning or shrinking under the influence of medication. A year without suicidal daydreams. A year of being a father and husband. A year without conspicuously missing seasons ... without a major depression.

It's been a while since I allowed myself to dream ahead a whole year. That is what this hour with a psychiatrist means to me.

12 comments:

  1. Hope your hour went well & you were kind to yourself. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SueKaliszewska1 April 2012 at 21:51

      Indeed we have....LittleGreyRabbit is my nom de plume - big hugs from Sue Wilson/Kaliszewska. Xxx

      Delete
  2. Med,
    Your post was very inspiring to me. I just began my relationship with Citalopram for a second time. The first time it was good to me, and I was able to stop taking it after two years. This time around, however, my depression was bad enough that they put me on it again - at twice the dosage from before.

    You are not alone in your quest to dream of the year ahead. I am trying to get there...one day at a time.

    maribel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maribel, thanks for those supportive words. I hope citalopram is of help to you... stay in touch.

      Delete
  3. It's good to dream. Gives hope for the future.
    Wishing you a very happy and fulfilling year ahead and I hope all went well at your Doctor's appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bengal, wishing you the same. Funny that at this time, just before April Fools we should be wishing eachother a happy year. I think, if I remember it correctly, April 1st was once the first day of the year and Fools Day ridicules those that still celebrated new year on that day!

      Delete
  4. On new medication ... feeling sedated ... difficult to type. Will reply properly when it wears off. Thank you for your kind comments. Med

    ReplyDelete
  5. Email at LC when you feel up to it. N.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Niecey. Just like magic you pop out of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My comments on your blog are disappearing! Not sure what's going on, so will try again.

    I am hopeful that your new medication will help you feel better. I hate having to depend on medication to feel okay, but at the same time I'm so glad it exists to help me.

    I know my family is happier when I am happier, and I have to be honest... I want my family happy... 'cause it helps me be happier too. A circle. A good one.

    How wonderful for your family to spend some time together in new surroundings, too. A gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami. Me too. I'm hoping meds provide the extra help I need to put the work in, and I want to be well for my family. Just how you said it. Hope all is well with you.

      Delete

Comments are what make it interesting...sorry about the introduction of word verification but unfortunately this blog has been recently plagued by spambots.