My mother just returned from Hajj, a religious pilgrimage, a sort of Glastonbury for Muslims. Since returning she has told me that I need to stop this, by which I think she means stop being mentally unwell. She tells me I need to go back to work, because I need to be a good example to my son, Xavier. If I read between the lines I think the suggestion is that I’m not a good example to him right now.
She visited too. I couldn’t explain why, but whenever my parents visit they typically insist from the outset that they cannot stay. My father will often sit in the car, outside the house; perhaps he’ll smoke a cigarette. Or, on occasion, he will stand on the door step. With only the most persistent of encouragement, will they both come in, and even then they both always refuse to remove their coats. Actually the whole thing becomes quite exhausting, because every step from leaving the vehicle, to entering the house, to taking a seat, to accepting a cup of tea, requires such reserves of energy and encouragement on our part. It is a scene fit for the stage, couched in comedy. Every attempt to make them feel welcome and comfortable is met with some retort about how brief this visit will be. This is made all the more comic if one takes a moment to survey the sedentary lives my parents lead. They have lived in this region for nearly thirty years, but still know little about its scenic beauty. A walk for them is what one does travelling from the dairy isle of the supermarket to the bakery section. And between walks they watch extraordinary amounts of television.
Anyhow, her visit to us was brief as always. On this occasion my father didn’t come in. My mother sat down but kept her coat on. She didn’t make much by way of conversation. She did prod my stomach and tell me I am fat, something she said I needed to sort out. She gave Xavier a few inappropriate presents, the sort that uniquely combines plastic, noise and violence.
Both Alicia and I couldn’t help but notice how well my father seemed whilst my mother was away. He came across as carefree, energetic, spirited and joyful. Now there is a marriage I might never understand.
It’s been a positive week and I continue to recover, with the expected ups and downs. To myself I say, surround yourself with passionate people, everybody else can wait for now.

Despite the problem of parents who are stuck in spinning wheels of their own making, this is so well-written, and I say that you appear to be engaged in all sorts of good things that set a perfect example for Xavier. We need to be creating a world where work outside the home does not define us, but who we really are as people in this world does. On that count you seem to be doing very well: writing down things that matter, living a life that matters.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Teresa. Thank you.
DeleteMy father tells me to "cheer up" as if I hadn't tried. He has own depression problems so I just ignore it as best I can. My parent's marriage was a strange one.
ReplyDeleteHmm that's interesting. My mother and aunt both show depressive symptoms but have never seen it that way or sought help. Consequently all the coping strategies are employed by the people around them. That doesn't always work out.
DeleteSorry Meds....I couldn't help but giggle - I have known a surprisingly large number of parents who do the "can't stay" routine. It is sooooooooo infuriating. I have always been grateful that my mother doesn't play this kind of drama but that's exactly what it is. Since you are so open Ma B can acknowledge (though apparently not understand) that you have mental issues that you are dealing with but obviously doesn't realise that EVERYONE does - Ma B and Pa B included. The whole "We really can't stay" and keeping the coat on is all a way of seperating themselves from your life by acting as if they are too busy and, anyway, they don't want to impose on your time either.
ReplyDeleteIn reality, they have convinced themselves that they don't know what to say to you (since you are obviously being deliberately odd) but are kind enough to take the time to drop off a couple of helpful remarks in passing - funnily enough almost every person who has told me their parents do this, there seems to be a dig about weight!! I think it is because it is one thing where they can see something as wrong and think they know how to fix it.
Yup...Damn you for being different!! and for not having the common decency to be ashamed of yourself for it....anyone would think that mental heath issues were common and widespread the way you behave :-)
Sadly, a lot of people of that generation have pretty black-and-white ideas about what depression is and how to fix it - apparently it's all about having socks at the correct length - try it!
How's this for a classic solution to the parent problem (you may have heard it before as there are many variations for age/culture/religion/sexuality/ethnicity/politics etc). Tell them that you have seriously thought about it and now believe that the best path for you in life is becoming a Hindu.....Let them spend a good hour or two explaining why you are totally wrong, thank them for helping you to see the world more sensibly. They will feel that they have done their job as parents and "fixed" your disturbing behaviour - maybe they'll feel better because they've had a "win".
Sometimes with parents all you can do is accept that you'll always be the child and that they "know best", smile and keep making tea - Good luck with it!
Z:-)
Glad you giggled, it is funny. If I was a stand up comedian my parents would provide enough material to last me a career! Got to love them. You are a very, very funny person. Thank you for making me laugh today.
ReplyDeletei'm starting off with a bad week with very low mood. i was so energetic last week. today i just dont want to do anything
ReplyDeletebut anyways, it's good to be reading some of others' experience in depression. it's a long journey
Noch Noch
Aww, I'm sorry to hear things are that way and hope they improve for you again. It sure can be a long journey and I find that once we accept our cards and play them to the best of our ability (whatever that looks like) it can be a journey we wouldn't trade for anything. Getting the right help along the way can be so frustrating though.
Delete