As I have been with Mehdi through his depression, I have seen and learnt many things. My own experience of the illness some years ago has gone some way to helping my understanding but, nonetheless, depression being such a different thing for each person, it has been an experience for us full of twists and turns, a road through steep hills where sometimes we can go along miles of blind bends. You learn to expect the unexpected though, and what that really means in the context of being a couple and having a (gorgeous) little boy. What I can never learn not to be surprised by, though, what always knocks me for six, is the people who ask me, quite unabashed, 'yes but how long are you going to put up with this for?'
Well. Where do I begin?
The 'this' in that question obviously refers to Mehdi's mental illness. I always am silent for a moment after I hear that awful question ; I think there is a moment of shock that Mehdi's brave battle with such a nasty illness, for which I admire him very much, has been casually described by someone who clearly doesn't understand as 'this'.
Once I've taken a moment to inwardly address that initial shock, then the second one sets in. This is the idea that this person expects there to come a time when I will no longer be with my soulmate, the love of my life, because he has depression. When phrased as above, as I find it so often is, the question gets me as well because it isn't an 'if ': it's clearly a 'when ', as if my love is sand in an hourglass that will eventually run out. My answer is always in the vein of 'I will never leave or give up, I love Mehdi, our happiness is bound up in each other and I don't see why our overall life long happiness should be another tragic casualty of his illness.' The person who most frequently asks this question of me being Mehdi's mum, that's usually where I leave it to avoid rocking the boat too much. I've had long conversations with her, just the two of us, trying to help her understand. That sounds a bit patronising, but I don't mean it like that; I just think that if Xavier needed help and I didn't understand why I'd be grateful if someone helped me understand. But these conversations seem to have an effect that quickly wears off.
But I do want to volley a few questions back to her, as I do to anyone else who might pose the 'how long' question (weirdly enough though, my experience is that this is rarely asked by those outside the family) .
First I want to ask what other illness someone could possibly have for it to be acceptable to ask of their spouse how long they will stay; then I want to ask why it's OK to ask this about mental illness. I don't need to ask though, not really. I'm pretty sure I know. I think it's because some people just can't shake the idea deep down, whatever they might say outwardly, that the afflicted person can somehow help it. I think that's been the worst blind bend to come across in the last few years: the one where I realized that when Mehdi, and also we two as a couple and we three as a family most need compassion and a kind smile, we are in fact under scrutiny by some (a minority I must add - we know lots of amazing people) to see when it will all fall apart completely. But it won't. It's not always easy, some days it's rarely easy, but it won't fall apart. It's hard to explain because I know it may be incredible to some given our situation but we are happy. And when I think of Mehdi, in all honesty the first word that springs to mind is happy. You see, for me it's not related, who he really is and his depression. He is and will always be that joyful person, so in love with life, whom I first met and fell in love with. It's just the depression means you can't always see that person. One day I hope I'll see that person more. But just because I can't see oxygen doesn't make me afraid I won't be able to breathe.

Depression is very misunderstood. People wouldn't ask that same question if your husband had Cancer. It's how our society is I'm afraid.
ReplyDeleteJust take comfort in the love you have for each other and your life together which it sounds like you already do :) Don't take to heart the opinions of those who don't understand what depression is.
Best of wishes to you and your family.
Totally agree with you - learning to let the unhelpful stuff run off you becomes a bit of a skill doesn't it! and thank you for your lovely comments. Alicia
DeleteThank you for this post. There is so much stigma and misunderstanding regarding mental illness. It is sad that we must not only fight the illness but also defend and explain, etc. At some point, I had to set boundaries with a couple of people in my life and let them know I was hurt and offended by constant advice and questions... and would not allow it any longer. Our relationships held and it is wonderful not having to expend that energy in fruitless discussion. Some people will not "get it" but hopefully, they can still be in your lives. You and Mehdi are fortunate to have each other. Wishing you all the best. Nancy
ReplyDeleteI take heart from your testimony that even though people might not understand, your relationship with them can still hold; when you're in the thick of it it's tempting to feel like anyone who doesn't get it will sort of fall by the wayside but it's not always that black and white with family and I'm glad to hear that your experience is that these people can still be in your life. Alicia
DeleteThis is a wonderful post. I'm glad you've found happiness together and that you're willing to stick together no matter what :)
ReplyDeleteThank you - and we really will, I feel like if we've come this far then we'll get through it all! Alicia
DeleteMy ex could not deal with my depressions. He knew when we married what he was up against, and welcomed it, because supposedly he suffered as well. When mine got so bad I literally couldn't get out of bed and support him, he left. He seemed to forget I carried him for six months when he was so depressed he just sat in front o the computer playing solitaire.
ReplyDeleteYou both are blessed to find each other, and love each other. I just feel and this is me personally, that most people would up and leave.
I'm so very sorry to hear of your experience, which must have been devastating. I really hope that things have improved for you and continue to do so. Alicia
DeleteI love what you've written here, and isn't it amazing that you've found each other? It sounds like you're exactly perfect for the other... and that you're happy and living with a deep and beautiful love.
ReplyDeleteI had tears in my eyes when I finished reading this. How lovely.
Incredibly flattered by your comment! It felt good to write it and renewed my hope for Mehdi's recovery. Alicia
ReplyDeleteMaybe I'm wrong but in some ways I wonder if she has convinced herself that he's happily wallowing in his depression because you are "pandering" to it by not telling him "Enough's enough now. Stop this silliness and go back to being normal at once", which, as you know, would instantly cure it!
ReplyDeleteIt's true that people do not ask this of partners of people with other illnesses. Rather more ironic is that people with other illnesses can behave like total bastards but if the illness is serious enough people are shocked when the partner leaves as if some illnesses confer imunity.
It's the traditional mix of prejudice and ignorance. I suspect that you are less surprised by it now but it must still grate. Perhaps you should re-phrase her question back to her so that she can hear how it sounds to you....
"So what you are asking me is, 'when am I going to give up on my marriage and abandon my husband, your son, father of my child, because he is ill'...that's what you are asking me to tell you?" It probably wouldn't go down well but maybe she would understand why that question might actually hurt you - and I'm sure it does however many times you hear it.
I wish they read this blog and understood how so many other people see him as taking a brave stance, facing up to a horrid illness and telling the truth about what it does. Then they'd also see that you are not simply "putting up with this", but supporting, helping where you can, and just being there when there's not much to be done but get through stuff. Any serious disease affects the whole household where it occurs (I know mine did) but we get through things together - it's pretty clear you guys will :-)
Z:-)
God for you Alicia! :) You just want to smack sense into people when they say stuff like that, don't you? :p
ReplyDeleteOoops! Meant to say "Good" :o
Delete