Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Bipolar Disorder Versus Depression

At my meeting with Dr A, Consultant Psychiatrist, nineteen days ago, I was asked why I thought I had bipolar disorder. Well, the truth is, at the time of being asked - I didn’t. All I knew was that despite various courses of well reputed antidepressants, therapy and a great deal of effort and learning on the part of me and my family, I was still experiencing a roller coaster ride of depressive episodes. It wasn’t that I thought I had bipolar disorder, but given that the treatment regime I was under was not working, in the sense that I could not maintain good mental health for more than a few months at a time, it felt like somebody needed to questions either the treatment or the diagnosis of straight depression. That somebody turned out to be me.

This blog post may well lack continuity. It’s nearly 8pm and every few minutes Xavier brings me the Lego plane he is playing with - in three or four pieces, for me to put it all back together again. Bless him. I know 8pm might seem a little late for a four year old but that is another story. We abandoned bed times after a five day trial period. Before that bedtimes were a bit of a battle ground and the only way Xavier could win was to do his utmost to keep himself awake in bed long after his story had ended and the lights had gone out. This just made him grumpy in the mornings. Now he gets ready for bed around 8pm, including a bedtime story, but after that he does what he likes, so long as it isn’t watching a DVD or playing on my phone (far too stimulating). He falls asleep really peacefully in our company and gets carried up to bed whilst he sleeps, with an ego the size of a five year old!

During the conversation with Dr A it emerged that a diagnosis of bipolar disorder would not be clear cut. Other factors, like my perfectionist tendencies and low self esteem could also account for some of the symptoms making it difficult to give a definitive diagnosis. It was a frustrating discussion for me because the whole conversation was based on my appalling ability to recall facts from my life. I’ve met people who can reel off their life as though reading from a CV and I am not one of them.

After the meeting, away from the stress of it, I was asked to complete The Mood Disorder Questionnaire. I had never seen it before; it claims to accurately identify 7 out of 10 people who have bipolar disorder and screen out 9 out of 10 people that do not. In the quiet of the waiting room and without the social interaction, these questions were now much easier to focus on. I want to reflect on those questions again here because, as I found in my first meeting with Dr A, so much depends on the ability of the patient to communicate key information.

There are most certainly times in my life when I feel very, very good; sort of invincible. During these times I’ll be more prone to do things such as strike up conversation with strangers; be a bit reckless for fun like stealing something from a shop or an exhibition; and be a bit loud even without the alcohol – talking over others. I feel like I become very in tune with the world, as though I can see how it is operating beneath the surface. Experiences become vivid: painted marks on a canvass, a musical movement, light penetrating a tree canopy, a plastic bag caught on the wind; they all become intensely beautiful and moving. My creativity at these times explodes and I get an inexhaustible thirst for new information, usually fed by days of research on the Internet. If I talk it through, conversation jumps around unpredictably as thoughts quickly fire in and out of my mind and the exciting connections form. I become driven – working on projects harder and longer. Our very own modest Victorian terrace house is a good example of that: The completely renewed wiring and plumbing; the newly installed central heating system; the bathroom and kitchen remodel: the new loft insulation and boarding, the solid wood flooring installation; and so much more in this house was done with these two hands whilst I worked a full time job in a secondary school. And as for whether I’ve done things considered excessive or foolish, remember I have seriously attempted gambling as an occupation in the past, out run the police when pursued and live now with unserviceable debts, not related to the gambling I might add.

Something that is perhaps a bit more 'out there' is a feeling that I have some sort of power over the world, like an ability the think consequences into being. Totally awkward admission right there. I feel somewhat superior to others, as though I understand truths in a way they can't. Other people can irritate me with little aggravation because their thinking can seem so clumsy and their methods backwards.

I’m not proud of any of this. Actually I am quite embarrassed about some of it, and even a little ashamed, but I’ve always said I’ll be honest here - even if that means I have to admit I can be a thoroughly detestable person at times. This is a picture of life, as me, that I’ve never discussed before because nobody has every really asked about it. It is, in a quite perverse kind of way, now that I read these paragraphs back, something that has been absorbed into the image I have of myself when I am well. It doesn't sound at all well though, does it.

When I am asked, as I was, if I have ever been in trouble with the police then the answer is indeed ‘no’. I have never been in trouble like that but for a speeding infringement. When asked if any of my blood relatives have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder the answer is again ‘no’. But that isn’t to say they don’t exhibit all these traits too. My parents are first generation emigrants who keep themselves to themselves. What you and I might consider symptomatic of a mental health issue would never be spoken about in these terms.

So I am a little frustrated at both the questions I was asked by Dr A and the way I answered them, because I think we could have had a much more productive hour together. I have another follow up appointment at the start of May. The evening’s dose of Quetiapine has started to make me feel very drowsy again, so its time to go to bed.




10 comments:

  1. I feel like this is a shared feeling between a lot of depression sufferers. I have been diagnosed twice with depression, however my doctor now has suggested that we might have to start looking into bipolar disorder. It seems unbelieveable that this doctor is the one to mention this and take the time to listen when I was under my previous doctor for so much longer.

    I do hope you start to get things moving in a direction that allows you to start feeling more positive whilst feeling you're gaining progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the review of your diagnosis and thank you for your kind wishes. It's both comforting and saddening to hear others have a similar protracted experience of diagnosis. The future can surely only be better.

      Delete
  2. A person I love was diagnosed as bipolar about 3 years ago. He went through all kinds of hell on his way to that diagnosis. I won't tell you more about him here, since it's not exactly private, but if you would like to know more, email me.

    (((Hugs))) to you, I am so glad you're able to think, to articulate, and analyze... and that you have a wonderful wife and son who think you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do and I thank you Ami for every time you remind me of that. I would like to hear more but gather from your blog you are both busy and tired at the moment so I won't trouble you until things settle down for you. Thank you though, you are always do generous and kind.

      Delete
  3. Whilst, as you know, I claim to have no expertise in these matters, my ex-wife was (and still is) a really rather brilliant pharmacist. A few years ago she did studies whilst seconded to the Maudsley into the affects - adverse or otherwise - of an aggressively commercial pharmaceutical industry on psychiatric practice. Many articles have been written since, i.e.

    http://www.critpsynet.freeuk.com/pharmaceuticalindustry.htm

    Now I am not suggesting for one second that it has, in any way, a bearing on your individual case but I do think certain drugs (and therefore diagnoses) are withheld due to cost etc.

    Also your frustration with your Doc's side of things maybe because the often comorbiditic nature of Bipolar Disorder naturally makes it very difficult to accurately pin down and he/she is being neccessarily vague at this juncture?

    Just jottings though, more food for thought than anything else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaize, thank you for your first comment here, and what an entrance! The link is fascinating - thank you for sharing it. It puts clearly into focus, in a very rational way, the concerns some have expressed about mental health pharmaceutical treatments; worth sharing more widely.

      And you are right, it is a tricky diagnosis to call and I'll try and be a bit more patient.

      Food is always very welcome, thank you my good friend.

      Delete
  4. So good that you are able to write these things and hopefully, share with Dr. This really illustrates the difficulty in communicating and remembering information that is so important. From what I understand, bipolar II takes much longer to diagnose because hypomania is more subtle, thus feeling productive and normal again after a depression never gets discussed. What feels normal and productive can, in retrospect, be hypomanic. Many antidepressants can aggravate the ups and downs. Sure you have researched and know all this already. Kay Redfield Jamison and Therese Borchard both have books that I found enlightening. Keep fighting for your answers! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I hope with this thought I can have a useful discussion at the next meeting, or Alicia will be confident about communicating for me. I'm not trying to self diagnose but when so much of the diagnosis is dependent on what you communicate it becomes pretty important to do so accurately.

      Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  5. I am extremely empathetic to what you are experiencing. Remember to keep striving to be the person you would like to be. Also remember, it may take time to see progress working with your therapist. Keep your head up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall do my best to remember both those things. Thank you.

      Delete

Comments are what make it interesting...sorry about the introduction of word verification but unfortunately this blog has been recently plagued by spambots.