Monday, 30 April 2012

I Am Not Depressed

As we sat down to dinner this evening I noticed Xavier was wearing an apron. “Why are you wearing that?” I asked. He mumbled something which I didn’t catch and then replied, quite unlike a four year old, with a heavy heart and a flat tone “I don’t want to wear this bloody apron.” My first thought and in fact my reply was, that is the correct use of the adjective, and I held onto my laughter, although I’m sure some escaped through my eyes. Since dinner we’ve consulted a thesaurus to find some other words that can be substituted in, with all the feeling and minus the offence. He’s particularly tickled by ‘blasted’ and ‘darn’ and we’ve agreed to mutually remind each other of the alternatives should we ever forget.

I’ve been reflecting a little on whether things are working out between me and Quetiapine (Seroquel, Ketipinor). It’s a tranquilising psychiatric medication used to manage psychosis by blocking the receptors in the brain that dopamine acts on. My tablets are designed to be slow release, giving me relatively steady blood levels of the medicine throughout the day. This is why it’s important I take them on an empty stomach; food would speed up its absorption into my bloodstream.

So first I’m just going to take the symptoms I’ve been experiencing through depression and examine each one in turn – noting how things are now, compared with how they have been in the recent past.

Anhedonia, an inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found to be pleasurable, is what characterises depression the most. The numbness severs through everything, even my relationship with my wife and son, the two greatest joys in my life. The magical morning sunlight, my eager dogs, the sound of music on the radio; everything disappears into a blind spot. Now things are different, I can project the love and affection I have for my family, colours have come back into the world and everything around me is buzzing with life. I have a grasp on happiness again, although it is different to before – sort of a tethered happiness, not the vivid winged happiness I’ve known in the past. It is practical.

Feelings of grief and guilt, my two close companions during depression, keep me ruminating irrationally on past failures, conflicts and inadequacies leading me to a place of hopelessness and intense stress. This is when, combined with the anhedonia, life stops making sense and becomes something I stop fighting for – something I’m actually desperate to be relieved of. I’m grateful that these dark feelings have lifted and it has become easier to rationalise my thoughts and memories, and manage the internal stresses. Horrid thoughts still pop into my head and I get quite anxious, but they don’t imprison me as they did before; I am not the scratched record.

Psychomotor retardation is a slowing of thought and movement so that both can feel desperately heavy and cumbersome. Making simple decisions became difficult, as did other tasks that required a degree of concentration. I shuffled about, sloth like in darkened rooms, or more often than not – remained in my bed pinned down by my heavy limbs and the stress of my own debilitating thoughts. I slowed to the point of sleep – if fortune was kind enough to afford me the peace of sleep. I have to distinguish now between that feeling, which I’m glad to say has passed, and the sluggish feeling I experience because of the Quetiapine. Sure, I feel sleepy and physically tired a lot of the time and have brief bursts of activity and energy – but it isn’t the same as the depression.

So on balance my relationship with Quetiapine seems to be working out, except for the way it makes me feel physically. Now that my mind has returned to me I find it is keen to make plans and push on with work, but my body feels like it’s holding me back. This is a deep furrow for negative thinking to prosper and therefore something I continually need to keep in perspective. I must not let this physical slowness dishearten me – and I do have a knack for seeing the negatives. It has been interesting for me to get this all down on paper – things are more positive than I had realised. If Quetiapine is prepared to give me something of my energy back, then this relationship could well work out.



19 comments:

  1. Heartfelt writing indeed. I had a lump in my throat as I read about the 'grief and guilt.' I know that part of depression so well. I'm really pleased that you have found a concoction that works for you, and your family who obviously mean lots to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hope you feel better soon Dicky. Depression is a really horrible illness. I really hope that one day in the not to distant future I can come off psch meds altogether. They cause problems of their own which I couldn't go into in this post. Keep in touch.

      Delete
  2. Time enough yet I'm sure for it to settle in. Possibly with feeling better will come a natural enthusiasm to do more and may not feel like such an effort of enery.
    By the way you've a great knack for writing your blogs....not that I'm enjoying your misery but your honesty tells a good story. And I'm sure your wife is gift to be there to support you but vice versa also, for her to support in difficult times, you are gift to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are right - I'm very lucky to have such a compassionate and loving partner. She is my reason for fighting on darker days. I'm crossing my fingers that my energy levels pick up.

      Delete
  3. I do appreciate the clarity you have when writing. It's caused me to spend a little more depth of thought (crappy grammar, I know) about my own mental stuff.

    And you realize how fortunate you are to have the wonderful family you have. So many people never figure that part out until it's either too late or, well, never.

    I am glad you're feeling.. better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami, yes I am certainly feeling better. Just the physical stuff to sort out. I am lucky and it will forever be a mystery to me how some people get through this by themselves. Sending you hugs.

      Delete
  4. Super Medhi, you're doing well mr! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great to read such a positive piece from you and to know that you have the light to walk towards. On those not so good days read back over this to give you back the hope. If you can manage a little exercise everyday, it will help. I resisted and convinced myself I couldn't exercise for so long, then something changed and for the past 16 months I have worked out at least 4 times a week. I can't put into words how much it helps - it just does. Enjoy the rest of this week. Much love Kjersti aka @norskie_ke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, I'll read this post to restore some perspective when I'm wobbling. I'm keen to be more active, really difficult at the moment but I'm trying. Good to hear what activity has done to help you. I have a feeling that is what will one day help me come off the medication altogether.

      Delete
  6. Hey dude, thank you so much for this post....It might sound daft but I liked to see the words and definitions. When I was down in the dark it would really have helped me to have definitions and names to put to situations and feelings that I could neither explain nor describe. It made me feel that what I was going through was just something stupid and down to me being useless.

    I'm happy to be back in the sunlight now but when a cloud passes overhead it will help to say, "This isn't me being pathetic - This is anhedonia (or whatever it is at that moment). This is a real thing and therefore I can deal with it".

    I am super happy that you are so back on track. Can I suggest tai chi as a step towards physical happiness? For two terms I went to a class at Claverham with a guy called Richard Odell and there was something genuinely brilliant about those slow controlled movements that made me feel (at the risk of sounding like a tragic hippie) very much at one with my body....of course the hysterectomy buggered that up a bit but right up til then it was great :-)
    I found him to be a great teacher and you really do work entirely to your own pace.
    I am pretty sure Richard still does classes in a few locations locally. I found his details on an "Active Rother" web page:

    Tai Chi Chuan and Qigong (Location: Hastings Area)
    Contact: Richard Odell
    Venue: Various - Contact for Further Details
    Telephone:01424 732079

    Email: rodellqn@aol.com
    Cost: Dependent upon class - around £5
    Suits: Children, Young people, Older people, Females, Males, People with disabilities - Dependent upon degree of disability
    Details: Daytime and evening classes for ages 5 years and over. More than one qualified instructor at each class(10 qaulified club coaches in total). Registered with British Council of Chinese Martial Arts and the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain.

    Sorry if that's a bit long - just cut-n-pasted it!
    I don't know how old that page is so the info might be out of date.
    I'm seriously thinking of hunting him down to join a class again myself :-)
    Be well and Be Jolly
    Z:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to check out the Tai Chi - good idea. I think I need something where I'm with others to help me push through and fight the fatigue - doing it alone is hard and I don't have a buoyant coach in my head to gee me on.

      I like being able to give the symptoms their proper names too, makes it easier to look at each one and ask 'how am I doing'. Just asking if today was high or low is, well, not really very sophisticated or helpful.

      Good to hear from you, you sound happy. X

      Delete
  7. i also started tai chi for my depression. i think it helped balance the energy flow in my body
    helped uplife the anhedonia for a bit
    good look. soldier on together!
    Noch Noch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, just stopping by to see how you're doing.
    Hope there has been some sunshine where you are lately,
    thinking of you,
    take care,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, with all this stuff about whether exercise is good for dealing with depression or not, I'm wondering what your thoughts are?

    This piece seemed pretty sensible to me... http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/06/exercise-depression-research-misses-point?CMP=twt_gu

    Cheers
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Med,
    I noticed you haven't posted in a while. Hope everythings ok and that you and your family are doing well.

    Wishing you health and happiness and a great summer.

    Bengal

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope the relationship works out for you. i quit anti depressants for a year and a half now. on acupuncture
    hope u are ok
    Noch Noch

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miss reading your posts and hoping you are alright. Thinking of you and your family.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Med, just passing through, as I do. You OK? Email if you can. N.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are what make it interesting...sorry about the introduction of word verification but unfortunately this blog has been recently plagued by spambots.