Friday, 17 February 2012

Puppy Training

It has been a while since I saw 8.30am, showered and dressed and ready for the next thing. But here I am, and I’m very satisfied about that. Yesterday was a good day for me too.

My ‘one thing’ yesterday was to walk the dogs, and again this is something I haven’t been able to do for a while – I haven’t really been leaving the house much. Walking the dogs is one of those things that makes me smile; seeing that the dogs are happy. Its funny how dogs are so immersed in their senses; there we are on our walk and the world is so full of interesting sights, smells and sounds that they can barely walk in a straight line. On the other hand, when my own thoughts have tied off the flow of sensations from my senses, I can travel the same walk without any knowledge of where I have really been. They are so in the moment, whilst depression can make me so the opposite. As Ami said so well, my mind is like a recalcitrant puppy that needs frequent tugs on the lead to stop it from wandering. So yesterday I took the lead, so to speak, from my dogs, and each time my mind turned inwards I snapped it back out again. Another act of mindfulness that I am finding is serving me well and helping me heal (there I go again with the puns).

I noticed the lichens growing on the north facing brickwork, the beautiful eggshell cracks in the old signs that mark the street names, the well proportions front doors of Victorian and Edwardian terrace houses. I quite agree dogs, it’s jolly difficult walking in a straight line.


4 comments:

  1. Very cool! Nothing like a pooch to awaken us to our surroundings and help us stay present to the moment. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs a just brilliant in so many ways aren't they. Don't know how I ever lived without my two. Thank you Teresa.

      Delete
  2. The other side of all that is that if you DO let your mind wander, it sometimes ends up in interesting places it might not otherwise have the time to visit.

    Just an observation.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are what make it interesting...sorry about the introduction of word verification but unfortunately this blog has been recently plagued by spambots.