The dots are there to be joined up. Many months ago Jojesek posted a really useful piece on Jon Kabat-Zinn’s mindfulness principles, listing the attitudinal aspects of the practice; it is well worth a read. Some months later I discovered The Four Agreements through a post by Teresa Evangeline. Again, this post is an interesting read and a good introduction to Don Miguel Ruiz’s tenants. Later still I discovered Les Floyd’s blog and was introduced to the way he was influenced by the book ‘The Power Of Now’ in his own journey.
I could feel some common silver threads were catching the light as I looked at Mindfulness, The Four Agreements, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Paul Gilbert's Compassion approach. All seemed to me to be suggesting that the mind was not something entirely under our control (thank goodness), but that it was also capable of quite unhealthy pursuits, and that we should protect ourselves from its less helpful behaviour.
The sorts of things my own mischievous mind can occupy itself with include: being overly self critical; judging myself and others unfairly; making unlikely assumptions about future events that I couldn’t possibly substantiate; making unhelpful assumptions about other people’s thoughts and motives; and filling my head with expectations of myself and my time. When depression has a hold over me, these are things that I think about and commentate on to the exclusion of all else. It is terribly introspective, but I am not responsible for it. I can’t be blamed for it. I am in the audience watching it all. It is a movie that makes me feel a certain way about myself, and one that makes me fear the world and everything in it. This is to be living in a dream, or rather a nightmare. All these thoughts, the past, the future, the interpretations – none of this is reality.
So I do agree; my thoughts need to be wrestled with. Or perhaps not so. Not wrestled with exactly, not fought until they are overcome…not reasoned away. Instead, my thoughts are something that should be filtered, managed, selectively rejected, at times ignored. Rather than colouring everything and even occupying their own reality, they should be tethered so that my other senses and reality itself has a chance to share the light.
So why is applying this wonderful filter so difficult? It is! It is very difficult for me! The answer would seem ‘pay more attention to my senses’, and yet I am a rabbit caught in the headlights of my own thoughts. I’m unable to move and one after the other they strike me down. I know what it is that needs to be done but I fail at it. Unsurprisingly, the commentary from within remarks that I am failing because I am not trying hard enough.
What I am trying to move towards in inhabiting the present moment. To a place where, when my thoughts wander off, I bring them back, and I am able to continually do that. So that my reality is the one I am actually inhabiting bodily, and not the warped reality I am creating inside. This is not easy. I am a complete novice at this. I am tired from all the thinking and distress, I am sleeping a lot, I am not taking care of myself. I spend a lot of time stuck in neutral. Days end before they have started. Anything unexpected is met with fear.
I am learning from Jon Kabat-Zinn and others that I will need to start my learning in the shallower waters, start small, work hard and practice often. That doesn't sound much like me, but as he says: “Your mind goes off, you bring it back, your mind goes off, and you bring in back, and this happens over and over and something inside you starts to grow that’s a little more interesting than a bicep.”

You know, that really is fascinating. I visualized a recalcitrant little puppy wandering off to smell the whole universe and the puppy's owner having to gently pull on the leash to get the pup focused back on current business.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you continue to write about your experiences, to explain your own thoughts so well. I don't know if there's a scale... a way to measure degrees of depression and how deep a person has sunk (for lack of a better phrase) but in reading here and there, I realize that things aren't so awful for me. Relatively, ya know?
(((Hugs)))
Like a puppy. I really like that. Writing really helps me. When I can write, I get very involved and that in itself holds back the tide of thoughts. I don't really know what other people's depression is like. In all its forms it is hard on each of us. Wishing you happiness Ami. Hugs back at you.
DeleteThis really describes my struggle with my thoughts. Thank you for the insight. I have a Kabat-Zinn book that I need to look at again.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any of his books. But I have been watching some lectures he's given that are available on You Tube. I was a bit skeptical but now I think he's a pretty honest and well intentioned guy.
DeleteBeen hearing a lot about mindfulness lately.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear from you, your perspective is very interesting and encourages me to do some more researching too.
Hope that this week has been a bit brighter for you and your family.
Take care.
www.thinking-about-leaving.blogspot.com
Thanks for your comment. I hope looking into mindfulness yields something useful for you. I'll continue along this path and post what I learn here too. I hope this week is a better one for you also. Wishing you well. Med
DeleteWhile we would not recommend Kabat-Zinn as the first course of action. If a counselling client brings it up in conversation and they find that it helps, we may encourage them to continue. We would ask them to explain why they feel / believe it is helpful.
ReplyDeleteAs a follow up, we believe this because it follows a post modern approach to therapy. If the client feels that it helps, and we believe that it is not causing harm, we support.
DeleteThank you for your message. Yes, adopting a more mindful approach (or heartful if you will) is helping. However it is also exhausting and not something I have found easy to sustain throughout the day. That said it has given back more time with my family these past few days than I experienced in the past 6 weeks. I'm grateful for that. I'm alone in my battle with depression at present given that I am out of therapy and awaiting the referral toast psychiatrist to come through. So right now self help is all I have.
Delete