Thursday, 2 February 2012

Intermission

I know that medication isn't the answer but for all its shortcomings it has still helped. So why now am I again paralysed by depression? Has the medication just stopped working again?

In the past crashes were helped by switching to another product... altering dosages. I haven't been long on fluoxetine yet the wheels fall off again. So what next? I've been referred to a psychologist ... perhaps their apothecary cabinet will be more extensive. It will be many weeks before an appointment comes through. Right now life is suspended in aspic. I can hear the clock ticking on the chest of drawers. It's now the afternoon, although indistinguishable from the morning. The bright sunlight at the bedroom window isn't making it to my soul. I can feel another day slipping away.
Still, the evening has yet to start and if the pattern of things repeats itself the prison doors will open and I'll be permitted my daily exercise.
...
Several hours have passed since I wrote this. It is mid afternoon. The world is still turning. It hasn't waited for me. I've been left behind again. I wish I could drag myself from this place. I can't even write today.
...
It's the evening now. I discovered a wonderful blog that you too can find at http://lesism.blogspot.com/. When I couldn't find the energy or motivation to write, thankfully I could still read. I was reminded in reading a few of Les Floyd's posts that there is a way out of this. Anabel and many others did say that I beat this once before, and I can do it again. I have been reading Les Floyd's blog along with some of my own old posts, from around the time I wrote breadcrumbs and things were just starting to turn around. On reading, I began to remember how it was that escaped the last time round. I have made changes, many changes, since then as a consequence of what I learnt but I can also see old habits have crept in once again. On reflection, in all the anguish of today, I have not spent a single minute of today anchored in the moment. At least, not until now. Instead I dwelt a great deal on the past and cringed at thoughts of the future. I imagined other realities that I couldn't know to be true, realities about what other people thought for instance. I was making myself unwell with all that thinking and I couldn't stop it from hurting me. Thank you Les, I needed to realise that again.

I am on my feet again, right now. I feel like I could be on my feet again tomorrow. Before the day ends, I'm going to write a few things down for myself. The fog will be back in the morning and it will be harder to focus without the help of a few words. I think I know what I need to tell myself. See you in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. I know very little about depression. Even though I've been depressed, the medication worked and I'm feeling, well, not normal, but not sick and dead, either.

    But I wonder about why you feel better in the afternoon. What is it that makes that happen? Is it some quality of the light? Is it because you've been awake a certain number of hours and certain body chemicals are at their peak? (Or the opposite?) I think it's worth exploring by trying to adjust sleep patterns or change lighting or surroundings, even if it's spending your time in a different area of where you live, doing something you don't ordinarily do.

    Although part of my anxiety is a real fear of physical closeness with people I don't know really, really well, I am sending you a huge hug and a wish that today you will feel... okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami. I've managed to achieving things later in the day that are otherwise impossible at other times. Still, I occupy a very protected environment here and withdraw again when things start to crumble. I don't understand it either. I just know I hate it. Appreciated that hug, thank you.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you called this "intermission". It's the break from the main programme. There was a time when the dark, leaden inesacapability of depression was the main programme. Now it is what happens in the breaks between the moments you are really living. Just remember that there will always be intermissions - it's not sliding backwards, it's just a part of life...like the DFS sale that you hear about on the tv during their intermissions. Don't beat yourself up over them and try not to rush out and buy a sofa! Remember that after a short while the main programme will start up again...and the main programme is worth waiting for :-)
    Z:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you z... don't buy a sofa just yet. Right. Got it. ; )

      Delete

Comments are what make it interesting...sorry about the introduction of word verification but unfortunately this blog has been recently plagued by spambots.