This morning is just about being unwell. It is dull, not worth blogging about and certainly nothing to waste your time with reading. I've said everything there is to say about these feelings. I've started days like this a thousand times. This is the bit I endure and the bit you won't understand unless, sadly, you too have experienced clinical depression.
Sometimes writing is a way of scraping that ancient hole into my skull and letting the demons escape. Cutting out the stone of madness. Right now it is out of reach.
I'm taking one day at a time, actually I'm just getting by from one moment to the next. This is tricky. Every day has its minor triumphs, the things we take for granted when in good health ... but the goal is more than to just make it to the other side of the day... it has to be.
I haven't been well enough to work and this is a source of real concern. Working for myself means I can go back at any moment ... and that keeps me hopeful. But in the mean time I am shut up in this house, trying to think what it is I can say to my customers.
It is a risk writing here so openly using my real identity. Customers are easily able to progress from my business web site to Googling me and finding out a little more. This is common sense when you are inviting a stranger to work in your house. I would certainly do it and my unusual name means it is incredibly easy to connect me with the business. However, given the ignorance that surrounds depression and other mental illness, I don't imagine it would be a selling point for me. At this point I should launch into some rationale about why I don't blog anonymously, how I'm trying to challenge stigma and discrimination. But the truth is I blog honestly and openly, without censorship, because that is what I vowed to do from the very beginning - those words are still there at the foot of the blog from the first day I published. There is no other reason. It makes decisions about what and how to write easy because I'm not looking over my shoulder, second guessing my readers.
I've only met one customer that admitted to seeing both websites and connecting them. I know at the time it terrified me... and I felt very exposed, despite her kindness and willingness to employ me. But I can't on the one hand campaign for an equality alongside those with physical illnesses, whilst at the same time taking advantage of the fact that depression can be concealed from others. That is surely to have it both ways isn't it?
I sometimes wonder if I should go further and link the two sites myself. Be totally upfront about being in business and living with depression. Is that a good idea? In my home town there is a wonderful place called The Café des Arts, a Social Enterprise that provides people with autism with an opportunity to work, learn and show their art work. It seems to work.
But I suppose depression has its own baggage doesn't it. Not everything that is laid at our door is prejudice and misconception. Having depression makes answering the phone difficult at times, talking to people is hard, being reliable from one day to the next is impossible during depressive episodes. I'm not even sure I would employ me. And yet I'm a good person, my work is of a high standard and I'll always do my best for my customers. There should be room enough for people like that in this world shouldn't there?
What do you think, continue with my double life or be upfront about depression?

I would say continue with your 'double life', although I don't think you're being fair on yourself describing it as such.
ReplyDeleteYour work persona and your personal life are two separate entities. Other people that don't suffer depression wouldn't feel any obligation to link them.
Both can be found if people care to search but I don't see what you would benefit from doing that work for them.
I guess I call it a double life because I conceal the depression and when I can't because it make me late or absent, I cover for it. I hate that.
DeleteI'm having the same dilemma at the moment. I blog under a different name because I'm scared at what people (especially members of my family who don't know) may think of me (and my mum) if they found out. It's a cultural thing really. But I'm also scared of friends finding out, and worried that they would treat me differently, and that it may affect my studies. I've also blogged about people who probably wouldn't be very happy if they read what I've written.
ReplyDeleteAt the same time I want to raise awareness about depression in medical students, and can't really do that unless I'm open about it myself...
I don't really think there is a right answer. I know that's not what you want to hear. I want to say forget about people and just do what feels right for you, but that would make me a hippocrite...
Really great blog by the way :)
Well, I can say that my friends and family know and I post a link to my blog on fb. So it's out there. You can't really know how people will react can you... I only have about 30 fb friends now because at the end of the day... they were the 30 that were worth hanging on to. My parents don't really get it, even though I'm sure my mum suffers from it and my dad worked as a psyc nurse. But they try. Then there are those who just never mention it... I don't know why.
DeleteWork life is the last hiding place where I have to pretend I'm just like everybody else. Still one to think about eh. Thanks too, guess you know I'm following your blog. Good stuff.
This is a tricky one. I remember seeing your blog for the first time and thinking - ouch Med, are you sure you want to do that? But Hastings is a small town and it's the kind of thing that people would find out about over time anyway.it's your choice, but I would personally keep the status quo as it is.
ReplyDeleteSeparately, if you ever wanted me to host your blog for you and move you away from Blogger with your own domain (which could or could not be your name) I'd be happy to help you with that. I already have my own hosting space so it would be free.. Just ping me a message on Facebook or something.
Another one in the hat, thanks Mr rocket. So far the concensus has been what you say... keep them separate but with the addition of be honest if people ask. What I'm not certain of is why that is the concensus. Is it simply because it might be bad for business, or are there other reasons? Not sure.
DeleteThanks too for you offer and as always I dearly value hearing from you.
I'd like to suggest my own reason for not linking the two. If you link them you are suggesting that it is information that they need to know about you before they consider employing you. Now I have encountered quite a startling number of tradespeople over the years that I would describe as functioning alcoholics. Many hide it quite well, some seem unaware, nearly all managed to handle their work despite their condition. None felt the need to draw my attention to it!
ReplyDeleteThere are many things about me that none of my employers have ever known, and I think you know that I am pretty open about most things. If they took the time to go looking they might find out things about me. Fine. If those things then bother them they can ask me. If they are so bothered they may chose to not employ me and I might never even know that this was the reason why.
You don't hide this aspect of your life and it is a truly strong and brave thing to open up to a critical world. If people want to dig into your background and then find this they can ask you....if you link to it then you will always have in the back of your mind "why don't they ask a question about this?"
Your name is enough of a link. To have them both out there is honest and open. People will make the link if they wish. This is important but it really isn't the most important thing about you....especially to a client who needs your skills :-)
Zx
Oh Z where have you been? You are so good at this! Really! You really need your own website... seriously. That all makes perfect sense and I think that settles it. X
Delete