I said once I don't believe in luck, and I don't... it's attitude. It's how, when I look back at things, I interpret them, whether I learn something from them, make the most of them. It isn't always easy to think that way and sometimes, like the Greeks, I think I have angered the Gods and now they are toying with us in revenge. Of course, that's nonsense, but it feels that way when events are interpreted as being 'done to you' and taken personally, and depression has a habit of making it seem that way.
When the laptop broke the challenge was to still generate and update the paperwork for our business, and communicate with customers. Alicia's mother came to the rescue as she so often does, allowing me to use her notebook one evening. Alicia came down the stairs to find I had dismantled the laptop on the kitchen table, determined to find the fault and see if it could be fixed (I have never in my life opened up a computer before so she was understandably concerned). A broken component hanging off the motherboard cost me £2.49 to replace and a nice chap will solder it on for me later this week for a small fee. In the meantime this smartphone, won in a competition that the business entered, has come into its own, even permitting me to blog.
.......
Xavier was due a trip to the farm as a reward for his beautiful efforts. So when the family car broke down at a busy roundabout, the jolly AA man shook his head and called time on our beloved Multipla. Whilst not materialistic about our car, we are sentimental - it holds a lot of dear memories. We were towed home for the fourth time in two months. Our chap at the garage took a look and the repair cost meant we would indeed be looking to let her go for spares or repair. It was a blessing really because insurance and road tax were becoming unaffordable, and fuel a luxury, save the repair costs. But then, out of the blue... he suggested we trade a bit of decorating for the repair. So this remarkable offer means we can see a way of breathing life back into our Multipla, even if only to sell it! People are always astounding me with their kindness and compassion. And to top it all Xavier will still have his trip to the farm, again through the generosity of Alicia's mother who has offered to drive us there. She is incredible.
And yesterday when the door knocked a knock at 8am my first thought was that the bailiffs had come and we froze. It was in fact the postman with a parcel for us. Inside the mysterious large box, chocolates and vouchers for a local grocery store. Alicia and I both cried a little, stunned that someone had thought of us and knew what it meant for us to afford groceries at this time. The kind message signed off 'from a friend'.
Each day a friend gets in touch with us to see how we are getting on, and offer support and encouragement, and that includes the amazing people that take the time to generously leave us a comment on this blog (Spanner is owed a special mention here). We feel that our troubles, minor misfortunes and struggles with depression are in your embrace. Every kind thought and deed reaches us amplified a thousand times and changes everything for us. It makes us feel that depression doesn't have to win and succeed in pushing this family to the fringes of life... that we can make it and we can believe in ourselves in the way that you believe in us. The gift, you see, at every turn is hope. You give us that... always, every day. Thank you.

Morning Pres, well to get a name check and not leave a comment would be a bit churlish lol. You were the first person to leave a comment on my blog so you're the cyber equivalent of a first love. How could I not follow your blog and see that you're ok.
ReplyDeleteThe other reason and the important one is your blog is so well written. It stretches, amuses and challenges me to think a little more :-)
I am a big fan of your blog Spanner, as you know. You have been a steadfast friend since I first found your blog. Really glad to have found you.
DeleteMy whole life, when things have been at their worst, help has arrived from completely unexpected sources. I try to be grateful every day for that and to pass it on when I can. So glad that someone reached out to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteSome people are really amazing, aren't they?
So true Ami, some people live in an unfeeling bubble whilst others ooze compassion and patience. Compassion trumps everything, even the darkest of times. I am fortunate to know so many compassionate people. With a little more practice, I hope I get better at showing myself that same compassion... the hardest part though isn't it.
ReplyDeleteat my lowest I have been lifted up by complete strangers and found the strength to carry on.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are back on the blogosphere, I have missed you. And yes, I like Spanner and his blog as well.