Friday, 15 July 2011

Burning Bridges

I did manage to get out of the house to go and do an estimate this evening. But when I got there no one was home, so I dropped by my Father’s, given that he was nearby. He asked how I was and we got talking. I don’t know if he was expecting me to say that ‘I’m better now, thanks for asking’, but I’m not… I’m getting there.

My father is a Muslim, he believes in Allah. He’s worried that I’m putting my faith in a therapist, a fallible human being, and I think he would rather see me put my faith in God. ‘You’re thinking too much’ he said, ‘just say Bismillah’, meaning ‘in the name of Allah’. It’s a contraction of the Arabic phrase Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim meaning ‘In the name of Allah, most gracious, most compassionate". Muslims say this phrase when embarking on any significant endeavour and the English translation does it no justice. To return it back to its poetic origins, a fairer translation might be to say With every breath that we breathe, may we be act on behalf of the Divine Presence, the Source of all that we receive’.

Faith, for me is a leap into the dark with the belief that God is there waiting to catch you. I don’t have that kind of faith. I don’t follow my father’s God. As much as my parents have done their best to bring me up as a Muslim, all I’ve gained from it is the ability to speak words in a foreign language without knowledge of their meaning. I am separated from them both by language and religion. What I gained from my parents in terms of moral guidance, I gained because of who they are and because they are good people. I think they’d have passed that on regardless of the religion they were born into.

There is an Indian Ocean between my experiences of depression and my parents’ understanding of it. In a way I have helped to create it by concealing my depression from them. I know I’m hungry for a world with more understanding… but I think I recognise that will take time; I don’t expect it of my parents. All I ask of them is kindness. Kind words and acts are great healers; I think we’ve all felt their power.

My father’s perspective is that I never had to be conscious of how to walk in order to walk, and in the same way I don’t need to be conscious of how I think and feel. He believes that by placing a spotlight on the processes that bring about thoughts and feelings I’m creating rather than curing the problem. I’m guessing that if he knew and understood the phrase ‘navel gazing’, it would have been levelled at me by now. Whether he realises it or not, he’s challenging my learning from therapy, and suggesting I substitute it with faith.

By contrast, I don’t see myself as able to walk effortlessly: I’ve suffered a crash and I’m learning to walk again… it takes effort. I haven’t faith in my therapist, it is not belief I have in her. I’ve worked with Judy before, she helped, I’m working with her again; chances are it will help again. I’ll keep writing… I hope he will read something of what I write; I hope that it will build understanding between us.

I love you dad. x

6 comments:

  1. An important lesson when learning to walk again, don't try to run first. All things take time, healing, understanding, change.

    Love you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can a Muslim believe that Allah works through people to facilitate change? A Christian might say God is working through their therapist.
    Most parents love us, but I think it better to listen to your own voice and trust what you think is right. When I took the advice of others over my own thinking, things would never work well for me.
    Inshallah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're handling those differences -- faith v therapy, parent v grown child -- quite sensitively and graciously. I don't think you've burned a bridge at all; you've actually reinforced it by standing by your own reality whilst at the same time accepting your father's different perspective as his own. I am very proud of you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chloe... I shall remember that because you said it. I come close each day to a 'melt down' over the smallest things and yet I'm making grand plans about what I'll do next week. It doesn't add up does it... walk Med, walk. Love you too C x.

    Hey Linda, you are always so kind. It reminds me that Judy always said the same thing too. Keep your own counsel. When I get advice I don't want to follow, I find writing it down lets it out again and I can leave it. Otherwise it bothers me. May be one day I'll find a religion... who knows. Inshalla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kindness Anais, sound like big old themes don't they! It was so much easier to write this post than to have the conversation with my Father and see the signs of his discomfort as we discussed things close to our hearts and disagreed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, your father may not be correct about how he thinks you should treat your depression, but every word you wrote about him shows how much you love and care for each other. I think that's lovely.

    I haven't talked to either of my parents about my anxiety/depression.

    If I were to seek counseling (something I have almost completely ruled out) I'd be told something I already know... a lot of my issues have something to do with my parents. Mostly my dad.

    I can't tell my parents that I am an atheist, either.

    I guess my parents don't really know me!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are what make it interesting...sorry about the introduction of word verification but unfortunately this blog has been recently plagued by spambots.